Background materials about the First Ukrainian Theater оf The Donbas - The All-Donbas State Ukrainian Drama Theater "Donderzhdrama"
Keywords:Donbas, Ukrainian Drama Theater, history
The paper presents some pages of history of the First Ukrainian Theater of The Donbas - The All-Donbas State Ukrainian Drama Theater "Donderzhdrama". It covers its setting-up and operation milestones from the foundation in 1928 to 1935 when the Theater ceased to exist while merging with Artem Ukrainian Mobile Theater, based in Artemivsk.The author draws a conclusion that Donderzhdrama is the first independent Ukrainian theater in the Donbas rather than a branch of Franko Theater. From its foundation in 1928 the Theater was based in the city of Stalino, having no permanent premises. It also faced such great problems as lack of funds and a clean-cut repertory plan as well as actors' turnover. Recollections about the operation in Stalino date back to only 1928 and 1929. In 1930-1934 the Theater performed outside Stalino, touring cities of the region and Ukraine. It is acknowledged that there are no archive documents regarding the setting up of Donderzhdrama as the first Ukrainian stationary theater of the Donbas. The Donderzhdrama staff comprised such actors as P. Poliova, R. Raisova, P. Shenchenko, L. Usatenko, D.I. Zhukov, Y. Khutorna, D. Gaidamaka, I. Avdienko, N. Reiska, Y. Shostakivska, O. Gorska, L. Zadniprovskyi, N. Bilodidova, stage directors Tetentiev, D. Shkliarskyi, Y. Shneiderman et al. In 1928 Donderzhdrama was headed by Stage Director D.I. Shkliarskyi. In 1931 Maria Adamska, a future Distinguished Artist of Ukraine, who was 15 at the time, embarked upon her creative career at the Theater. The Theater repertory included such plays as I. Mykytenko's "Personnel", Kirshon's "Humming Rails", Dniprovskyi's "Apple Captivity", Kulish's "Myna Mazalo", "First Horse Army", "Mine "Maria", "Street of My Joy", "Squadron Ruin", "My Friend" and others.
Yevseiev O. I., ed. (1960), Cultural construction in the Ukrainian SSR. The most important decision of the Communist Party and the Soviet government. 1917-1959 biennium.: Coll. documents in 2 vols., Kyiv, Vol. 1 (1917 - June 1941), 882 p. (ukr).
Barabash L. I. (1990), Ukrainian dramaturgy and Theatre in Donetsk region in the 1920s: Aspects of existence and development, in Implementation Leninist national policy in Donbas, abstracts and reports of the Republican sciences. Conf., Donetsk, pp. 95-96 (ukr).
Kravtsova N. (2002), Formation of professional theater in Donbass 20th-ies XX century, Istorychni i politolohichni doslidzhenia, № 1 (9), p. 107 (ukr).
Novichenko O. V. (2007, Litopys Donbasu: Kraieznavchyi zbirnyk, Donetsk, issue 15, p. 97 (ukr).
Demydchuk N. (1969), Donbas, № 3, pp. 88-97 (ukr).
Treplev K. (1925), Kochegarka, October 13 (rus).
К. Т. (1925), Kochegarka, October 14 (rus).
Sotsialisticheskiy Donbass (1936), October 17 (rus).
Pishvanova T. (2013), The All-Donbass State Ukrainian Drama Theater (Donderzhdrama): pages of history, in Donetsk Journal of Scientific Society. Shevchenko, Vol. 37, Ukrainian Cultural Centre, East Publishing House, Donetsk, pp. 113-121 (ukr).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Tamara Pishvanova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.