Stanislav Frize, a researcher of Lviv Politekhnika, in records of the People's State Security Commissariat for January-August 1945
Keywords:Lviv Polytechnic, repressed scientists, Stanislav S. Frize
The paper reviews for the first time criminal (investigation) case No.1339 inrespect of Stanislav S. Frize, Professor, Doctor of Engineering and the Head of the General Electrical Engineering Department of the Lviv Polytechnic (currently the National University 'Lviv Politekhnika'). From January to August 1945 the researcher was kept in special camp No. 0310 of the People's State Security Commissariat in the town of Krasnodon of the Voroshilovgrad Region. He was put there without any trial and relevant proofs of his guilt towards Soviet law. Frise was accused of teaching electrical engineering and physics at courses for electricians in 1942-1944 under constraint of the German occupation authorities. People's State Security Commissariat bodies regarded the fact as cooperation with the Germans and betrayal of the Motherland, which fell under definitions of Article 54-1a of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. They disregarded complete political apathy of the Professor, his straightforwardness and outspokenness in expressing his views of the events. Having refused to sign an appeal to Stalin, Frize laid himself open to suspicions of anti-Soviet agitation. His lack of knowledge of the Ukrainian and Russian languages and teaching in Polish was considered as sabotage of Soviet power efforts aimed at restoration of education at higher schools. Only testimonies of the Department staff in July 1945 and vigorous activity of his wife Anna Y. Krypiakevych convinced the Soviet punitive system of Stanislav Frize's innocence.
Vasylenko, L. S. [ed.] et al. (2004), Frieze Stanislav Stanislavovich, Lviv Oblast and Lviv: Encyclopedical Biographical Guide, VIKA, Lviv, Issue 1, 424 p. (ukr).
Butsko, M. I. (1994), Frieze Stanislav Stanislavovich, In: Known scientists of the State University «Lviv Polytechnic» (1844-1994), Lviv Polytechnic Press, Lviv, 132-136 pp. (ukr).
Tokarsky, Y. [str., ed.] (2004), Frieze Stanislav, In: Professors, associate professors and assistants of teaching and research institutions in Dublyany (1856-1947),LvivStateAgrarianUniversity; Lviv, 102 р. (ukr).
Kolakowski, T. E. [ed.], etc. (2010), Profesor dr. inz. Stanislaw Fryze (1895-1964). Pionier elektrotechniki. Nauczyciel i wychowawca wielu pokolen polskiej mlodziezy akademickiej, COSiW SEP : ENERGIA, Katowice, 199 s. (pol)
Kurendash, Rostyslav (1997). Virtuoso of lecturer’s work, Lviv Polytechnic: Education. and a student Weekly. February, 28 N 8, 5 p. (ukr).
Gazeta Lwowska [newspaper] (1937), Staraniem Kola Pan Politechniki Lw. wyglosi dr. inz. Stanislaw Fryze prof. Politechniki Lwowskiej wyklad popularny. Lwow 13 marz. (№ 58). S. 2 (pol).
Free Ukraine [newspaper] (1944), Assistance to scientists of the rebuilders of the city. No. 73 (608) October 7, Saturday, P.1. (ukr).
Red Stardar [newspaper] (1945), What scientists of the Polytechnic are working on? No. 1 (638). 01.01.1945, P.3 (pol).
Red Stardar [newspaper] (1940), In the laboratories of scientists No. 327. October 17 (pol).
Sectoral State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine. Investigator Case No. 1339. Archive case P-2197.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Bogdan Levyk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.