Hermes Trismegistus in cultural and religion space of Slavia Orthodoxa: written tradition
Keywords:hermetism, Slavia Orthodoxa, Hermes Trismegistus, alchemy
The appearance of the first Hermes Trismegistus’ texts in cultural space «Slavia Orthodoxa» falls on XV century: in Serbian literature Konstantin Filozof’s «Žitije despota Stefana Lazarevića» (Vita of Despot Stefan Lazarević) and in old Ukrainian “Palais Krekhivsky” described by Ivan Franko. Serbian version contains only few lines, but Ukrainian includes individual and very complete section on Hermes Trismegistus’ life. It provides the information on the origin of Hermes, on the story of his father, and on his studying of secret alchemical knowledge in Egypt. Separately is Hermes understanding of the Trinity divine nature allocated.Orthodox literature of XV century is mostly apophatic. Following the Christian thought of first centuries, which in the face of pseudo-Dionysius Aeropahit stated, that the description accuracy of God is in denial terms only and that our language is not developed enough to express the divine essence. Such statements can be found in the Slavic texts of Hermes. God’s Hermes nature is also stated in apophatic style that is consistent to intellectual atmosphere of Orthodox Slavs. So the scribes were able to tailor the Hermetism founder’s image to their needs, concerning questions on the nature of the Holy Trinity being. In general, it did not contradict to Hermetism, which believes that the more there are meanings contradict to each other, the more obscure the words are used, the more expressed is shown in confusing characters, the more they are suitable to describe the Absolute.
Alekseev A. I. (2012), Religious movement inRussialast third of the XIV - XVI centuries: Strigolniki and Judaizers, Mosсow, 560 p. (rus).
Franko Ivan (2006), Apocrypha and Legends from Ukrainian Manuscripts / collected, compiled and explained, Lviv, 532 p. (old ukr).
Dodds E. R. (2000), The Greeks and the irrational, Moscow, 320 p. (rus).
Kryzyna G. (2011), Palamizm spiritual and cultural revival of the Orthodox ekumeny, Kyiv, 216 p. (ukr).
Nosachev P. G. (2015), "Abdication of knowledge" The study of marginal religiosity in the twentieth and early twenty-first century, Mosсow, 336 p. (rus).
Ryan V. F. (2006),Bathat midnight: Historical overview of magic and divination inRussia, Mosсow, 720 p. (rus).
Titov V. V. (1999), False and renunciation books Slavic and Russian antiquities: Lyrics - primary sources fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. with notes, comments and partial translation, Mosсow, 133 p. (rus).
Filozof K. (1989), Tale of Slovima. Zhitije Despot Stefan Lazaroviђa, Beograd, 154 p. (serb).
Foucault's M. (1996), Archaeology of Knowledge, St. Petersburg, 416 p. (rus).
Chernjavskaja V. E. (2009), Text Linguistics: Polikodovost, intertextuality, interdiskursivnost, Mosсow, 248 p. (rus).
Iamblichus (1995), On the Egyptian Mysteries, Mosсow, 288 p. (rus).
Faivre A. (1994), Access to Western Esotericism, New York, 370 p. (engl).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Vitalii Shchepanskyi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.