Modern Ukrainian-Russian war: background and geopolitical dimension
Keywords:geopolitical background, East Ukraine, Donetsk region, Russian aggression, Ukraine-Russian war, "Donetsk People's Republic"
The paper looks into the background and outbreak of the Ukrainian-Russian conflict in the east of Ukraine in 2014. The conditions of the emergence of this confrontation are identified and the leading role of Russia as the organizer and main originator of the war against Ukraine is demonstrated. The inadequate role of the West in countering the Russian aggression is pointed out.The paper presents the chronicle of the "Russian Spring" from the early March 2014 to the end of this year. The influence of local and Russian propaganda on changes in awareness of regional dwellers is shown. The motivation of the President of Russia in committing the aggression upon Ukraine is identified. It is pointed out that to stop the war, consolidated countries of the West should turn to more radical means rather than economic sanctions against Russia.
Hrytsak Ya., Again about a possible split of Ukraine, Krytyka, available at: http://krytyka.com/ua/articles/znovu-pro-mozhlyvyy-rozkol-ukrayi (ukr).
Vozniak T., Parallel scenarios of events in Ukraine during the winter of 2013-2014. Putin partially still carried out his plan of dismantling of Ukraine, available at: http://zaxid.net/news/showNews.do?paralelni_stsenariyi_podiy_v_ukrayini_vzimku_ 20132014_rr&objectId=1332169. (ukr).
Kipen V. (2014), Trumatized consciosness as consequence and factor of insecirity (research of mass attituded in Donetsk), Skhid, № 2 (128), March-April, pp. 5-9, available at: http://skhid.com.ua/article/view/24557/22158 (ukr).
Donetsk Regional Council. Оfficial Website: http://sovet.donbass.com/index.php?lang=ru&sec=01&iface (ukr).
Official website of the mayor and city Council, Donetsk, available at: http://www.lukyanchenko.donetsk.ua/. (rus).
Would Donbass survive under the pressing of Russia (2014), Panorama, april, 24 (rus).
The question to power. The website of the TV channel Donbass, available at: http://voprosvlasti.donbass.tv/vvlasti/view/2014/04/07/17266/ (rus).
Tvoya Pravda. Web resource, available at: http://tvoyapravda.com (rus).
Workers fear for the future in Ukraine’s industrial east, Guardian, available at: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/26/ukraine-workers-fear-future-heavily-industrialised-east (engl).
New York Times, available at: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/world/ (engl).
Medvedev S., Russian the ressentiment, available at: http://www.strana-oz.ru/2014/6 (rus).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Ihor Todorov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.