Peculiarities of shipping in the Dnipro basin in 1875-1932
Keywords:Dnipro, Dnipro basin, river transport, steam ships, rapids, Dniprostroi
AbstractThe article is devoted to analysis of the dynamics of water transport in the Dnipro basin in the last quarter of 19th - the first third of the 20th century. Under the influence of technological innovations during this period, the structure of the fleet of ships is changing radically, the total tonnage increases, the speed of transportation, the cost of services decreases. The Dnipro begins to work for the needs of the industry, which is booming on its shores. It proves the need of river traffic, its direction, due to the meridional orientation of the river, describes the evolution of the river fleet, steamships too. The article reveals the conditions of navigation and the specifics of navigation on the Dnipro (before the construction of the dam of the Dnipro hydroelectric station).
Afanasyev-Chuzhbinsky, A.,1861. Atrip to southernRussia. Essays of the Dnieper. Part 1., St.Petersburg: Tipografiya Morskogo ministerstva, 466 p. (rus).
Belyavsky, P.E., 1991. Dnieper. Encyclopedic dictionary of F.A. Brockhaus, I.A. Efron. Vol. 20.Yaroslavl: Terra Publishing, 791-808 (rus).
Graftio, G.O., 1905. Report on the trip to theDnieperrapids. Materials for the description of Russian rivers and the history of the improvement of their navigable conditions. Issue.9, St.Petersburg: Tipografiya Morskogo ministerstva, 16 p. (rus).
Gurzhii, I.O., 1968. Ukrainein the system of the all-Russian market of the 60-90s of the nineteenth century. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 191 p. (ukr).
Dudka, V.I. and Dudka, L.G., 2010. Dnieper transport artery in the 19th century. The Great Patriotic War in the History of the Ukrainian People: A Collection of Materials for a Regional Scientific and Practical Conference. Shcherbatykh Publisher, Kremenchuk: 47-57 (ukr).
Zavalniuk, K.V., 1998. Trade in industrial goods between Ukraine and Belarus in the second half of the nineteenth century. Ukrayinskyy istorychnyy zhurnal. Issue 4: 43-55 (ukr).
Konstantinova, V.M., 2010. Development of communication and transport as a component of urbanization processes in the south of Ukraine in the second half of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Literatura i kultura Polissya. Coll. sciences works. Issue 61. Nizhyn: P. 70-74 (ukr).
Krivko, I.M., 2006. Development of river transport in southern Ukraine in the second half of the nineteenth century. Scientific works of the historical faculty of Zaporizhzhya State University. Issue XX. Zaporizhzhia: 74-79 (ukr).
Materials related to the device of the Alexander Harbor. State Archives of the Zaporizhzhia Region. Fond 1. Opys 1. Sprava 825.
Review of the economic statistics of Russia,1849. St.Petersburg: Tipografiya Imperatorskoy akademii, 252-254 (rus).
Chernikov, I.I., 2003. Fleet on the rivers. Publishing house "Polygon", St.Petersburg, 704 p. (rus).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Roman Dodonov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.