The valued focus of a widow and an orphan statuses and scale of protection in the Old and New Testament tradition
Keywords:widow, value, image, axiology, orphan, symbolic, semantic, solitude, exclusivity, protection, separation, intercession
AbstractThe article is devoted to a problem of a widow's place, status, scale of protection and vulnerability consideration due to the biblical tradition. Moreover, it discovers a problem of widows' and orphans' solitude and their incorporation into social life. Some ambiguity of a widow's place and role in ancient tradition is highlighted. The various contexts of a widow's image understanding are considered. The multi-vectoral focuses of a widow's image presentation in Biblical context are analyzed. The diverse contexts of solitude, exclusivity, devoted life, vocation, abandonment and protection at the same time, Heaven's protection are conceived. Presented factors of a widow's status are compared with the statuses of orphans, levits, foreigners, etc. The work is based on methodical description of the women' images who are selected from the Old and New Testament. Particular attention is given to Ukrainian context of a widow's image spiritual and semantic understanding.
Ogienko, Ivan [translat.] 2003. The Bible or the Books of the Old and New Testament. Ukrainian Bible Society, Kyiv (ukr).
The Bible (Contemporary English Version by Good News Translation), 1976. Published by American Bible Society Available at: www.bibles.org/eng-GNTD
The King James Version of the Holy Bible, published by “DaVince Tools”. 2001. Available at: www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/
Strand, Robert G., Mandryk, O. [translat.] 2016. Ready for Everything: Women of the Old Testament. Svichado, Lviv, 152 p. (ukr).
Strand, Robert G., Mandryk, O. [translat.] 2016. Ready for Everything: Women of the New Testament Svichado, Lviv, 160 p. (ukr).
Scott, Makrina 2003. Bible Stories Revisited - Discover Your Story in the Old Testament [translated by Biblical and Theological Institute named after Saint Apostol Andrew].Moscow, 277 p. (rus).
Khrypko, S. 2012. Personality and Image of a Widow in Ukrainian and Biblical Tradition. Scientific magazine of National Pedagogical University named after M. P. Dragomanov. Part №7. Religion and Cultural Studies. Philosophy: Scientific issues collection. Kyiv: National Pedagogical University, № 28 (41). P. 7-25. Available at: http://www.vuzlib.com.ua/articles/book/16669-Postat_%D1%96_obraz_vdovi_v_ukra%-D1%97/1.html
Movchan, M. 2009. Solitude as a Phenomenon of Personal Existence. RVV PUSKU, 265 p. (ukr).
Ksavie, Leon-Dufura [ed.] and Luplasi, Jean [ed.] and George, Avgustin [ed.] and Grelo Pier [ed.] and Gije Jacques [ed.] and Lakan, Mark-Francois [ed.] 2003. Dictionary of Biblical Theology [translat. from French]. Kyiv, Kairos, 1287 p. (rus).
Khrypko, S. 2003. Religious and Spiritual Contexts of Ukrainian Mentality: thesis of doctor of philosophy: 09.00.11. National pedagogical university named after M. P. Dragomanov. Kyiv, 189 p.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Svitlana Khrypko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.