The clergy of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of the northwestern part of Hutsul region between 1836 and 1935
Keywords:pastor, parish, church, Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Hutsul region
The chronology of the activities of Ukrainian Greek Catholic pastors in the northwestern part of Hutsul region (within present-day Ivano-Frankivsk oblast) has been found out in the article. There were nine parishes on this territory. The above-mentioned parishes united about 20 churches in 17 settlements. Information on the clergy of the northwestern part of Hutsul region has been taken from schematisms, funds of the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine (Lviv), and private archives of the Klapchuk family in Deliatyn. The first information on priests dates back to the middle of the XVIIth century. It has been found out that 74 priests (7-9 ineach village) were pastors in the northwestern part of Hutsul region during the century. The average time of pastoral duties in Bili Oslavy, Krasna, Lanchyn, Sadzhavka and Yablunytsia was 11.1 years, in Zarichchia - 12.5 years, and in Deliatyn, Dora and Mykulychyn - 14.3 years. Three priests had been pastors for more than 40 years: O. Hlibovytsky (Yablunytsia, 43 years), E. Gadzinsky (Bili Oslavy, 43 years), and A. Fedorovych (Lanchyn, 41 years). There were priests who had been pastors for more than 30 years - T. Blonsky (Dora, 37 years), Yu. Krasytsky (Sadzhavka, 37 years), I. Harasymovych and T. Galaichuk (Mykulychyn, 35 years), A. Vytoshynsky (Deliatyn, 34 years), and M. Drahomyretsky (Deliatyn, 32 years). Three priests were pastors in two parishes (D. Khomyn, V. Lutsky, I. Bylynkevych).
Thus, using the method of historical chronology, the authors of the article have solved a very important issue concerning the history of Hutsul region. They have found out the names of priests in nine parishes within present-day Ivano-Frankivsk oblast. The chronology of the activities of these priests has been studied as well. These pastors are important not only for the history of religion in Ivano-Frankivsk, but also for Ukrainians scattered all over the world and trying to understand their origin. The priests have been forming mental outlook and cultural wealth of local people for about a century.
Klapchuk, V.М. and Klapchuk, М.М., 2007. Delyatinschina: historical and geographical research, Delyatin, Folio, Ivano-Frankivsk, p. 512-520 (ukr).
Protsak, R., 2006. Church of the Carpathian Region. Lilia-HB, Ivano-Frankivsk, p. 104-115 (ukr).
List of clerics: Shematyzm vseho klyra hreko-katolytskoy Eparkhiy Stanyslavovskoy na rik Bozhiy 1889, 1891-1898, 1900, 1903-1909, 1911-1912.
List of clerics: Shematyzm vseho klyra hreko-katolytskoy Eparkhiy Stanyslavovskoy na rik Bozhiy 1913, 1925, 1927-1931 і 1935.
Schematismus Archidioeceseos ritu graeco-catholici Leopolensis pro anno 1836, 1839, 1841, 1845, 1850, 1853-1855, 1859-1861, 1864, 1865, 1867, 1868, 1872, 1877-1880, 1883.
Schematismus universi cleri graeco-catholicae dioeceseos Stanislaopolensis pro anno domini 1887, 1928, 1932 et 1933.
Private archive of the Klapchuk family in Delyatyn, fond 4, opys 4, sprava 2.
Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine (Lviv), fond 17, opys 1, sprava 131, arc. 552-553.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Volodymyr Klapchuk, Oksana Tymofii
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.