The institutionalization of the politics of memory
Keywords:historical memory, policy of memory, the war of memory, institutionalization, Institute of National Memory
The article is devoted to the analysis of directions and logical stages of the institutionalization of historical memory in Ukraine. As the stages of institutionalization, the author emphasizes drawing attention to "closed issues" of history from the part of the creative intelligentsia, independent researches of historians, journalistic investigations, as a result of which the society has formed a need for the restoration of justice and truth; the establishment of norms and rules for the disclosure of the content of historical memory, including the declassification of archival documents, the work of exploratory expeditions in mass grave sites, the identification of new and revival of forgotten places of memory, the revision of the pantheon of national heroes, various programs for studying oral history, including the content of historical memory in textbooks of educational institutions; adoption at the legislative level of the relevant norms providing for sanctions for their non-compliance; finally, the creation of the Institute of National Memory.
Renan, Ernest Joseph. (2016). What is a nation? Available at: http://zilaxar.com/kultura/chto-takoe-natsiya-1882/
Halbwachs, M. (2007). The Social Frameworks Of Collective Memory [translat.]. New Publishing House, Moscow, 348 p. (rus).
Nora, P. (1999).The problem of memory places. In: P. Nora, M. Ozouf, J. de Puimej, M. Wynock. France is a memory [translat.]. Publishing house of S.-Petersburg. University, St. Petersburg: 17-50 (rus).
Assman, A. (2014). A long shadow of the past. Memorial culture and historical politics. Novoye literaturnoye obozreniye, Moscow: 328 p. (rus).
Epple, N. (2017). Foreign Memory Policy. Available at: http://www.inliberty.ru/blog/2546-Vneshnyaya-politika-pamyati
Ferretti, M. (2005). The irreconcilable memory: Russia and the war. Notes on the margin of the debate on the burning topic. Neprikosnovennyy zapas, 2005, No. 2-3 (40-41) (rus).
Kurilla, I. (2014). History and memory in 2004, 2008 and 2014. Otechestvennyye zapiski. № 3.
Ruta Vanagayte at the third meeting of the Intellectual Club Svetlana Aleksievich (2017.03.09). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRYRBIBuEo
Krastev, Ivan (2016, 03.07). Opening of the panel discussion «Universal values and global interests of civilization». Available at: http://i.civiceducation.ru/story/31256
TSN.ua (2017). The draft law was promulgated by the Polish Nationalist Radical Party URL: «Cookie15» Available at: https://tsn.ua/svit/u-polschi-karatimut-usih-hto-zaperechuye-zlochini-ukrayinskih-nacionalistiv-1096005.html
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Roman Dodonov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.