Reformist ideas among Muslim students in the early twentieth century: the clandestine congress of 1913 in Kiev
Keywords:Muslim students, Muslims of the Russian Empire, Islam in Ukraine
The article is devoted to the clandestine congress for the preparation of the All-Russian Congress of Muslim Students, organized in Kiev in 1913. Based on the archive sources of gendarme administration of Kiev Governorate and memoirs of the participants of the events, the process of preparing the organizational congress, its goals and tasks were examined. The role of reformist ideas among the organizers of the clandestine congress and their inclusion into the general imperial Muslim context was shown. The process of politicization of the Kiev Congress under the influence of revolutionary-minded participants representing the Muslim Tartars of the Volga and the Urals was studied. It was shown that the socially active Muslim students of that time included both revolutionary circles and representatives of intellectual and political elites of the Muslim community of the Russian Empire who were seeking for opportunities to improve the situation of the Muslims of the Empire. The probable causes of the weak reaction of the security services of the Russian Empire to this congress were analyzed. Among them are: a) the intervention of representatives of the Muslim elite of the Russian Empire, b) the marginal nature of the "Muslim issue" for the Kiev gendarmerie. The special role of the deputy of the Forth Duma, the representative of the Muslim faction of Ibnamin Akhtyamov in the settlement of the problem of the Muslim students' arrest was noted. It is concluded that the congress in question was a manifestation of unifying tendencies among the Muslim students, which took place on the eve of the First World War.
Vámbéry, Á. (2003), Travels in central Asia, Vostochnaia literatura, Moscow (rus).
Galikhuzina, D.S. (2010), The Problem of Female Education as Covered by “Shoura” Magazine, Uchenye zapiski Kazanskoho universiteta, Vol. 152, No. 1, pp. 58-65 (rus).
Ibrahimov, G. (1922), Tatar studentlary herekete tarihynnan kechkene ber hatire. [From the history of the movement of the Tatar students. A small remembrance], «Tatarstan» matbagasy, Kazan (tartar)
Kupchik, O.R. and Damirov, A.U. (2013), Studenty-azerbaidzhancy goroda Kieva v obshestvenno-politicheskoi zhizni Ukrainy (1900-1917 gg.) [Students-Azerbaijanis of the city of Kiev in the socio-political life of Ukraine (1900-1917)], Izdatelskii dom Dmitriya Burago, Kiev (rus)
Mostakaev, K. (1963), Galimzhan Ibrahimov Kievta [Galimzhan Ibrahimov in Kiev]. Sovet edebiyaty, No. 1, pp. 125-132. (tartar).
The State Historical Central Archive of Ukraine: collection 268, series 1, file 905 (In Russian).
The State Historical Central Archive of Ukraine: collection 274, series 1, file 3151, part 1 (In Russian).
The State Historical Central Archive of Ukraine: collection 274, series 1, file 3151a, part 2 (In Russian).
The State Historical Central Archive of Ukraine: collection 274, series 3, file 237 (In Russian).
The State Historical Central Archive of Ukraine: collection 274, series 4, file 521 (In Russian).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Denis Brylov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.