COMPARATIVE DISCOURSE ANALYSIS OF THE PRACTICS OF CHURCH WORSHIP OF UKRAINIAN AND AMERICAN PENTECOSTALS
Keywords:discourse, theological discourse, religious discourse, liturgical discourse, Pentecostals, Azusa Street Revival, Ivan Voronaev
The article demonstrates the basic concepts of discourse theory and offers a model of practical application of discourse analysis to determine the liturgical identity of the early American Pentecostals and Ukrainian Pentecostals of the Soviet period.
The author demonstrates that if there are common elements in the history of the origin of the Pentecostal movement and the similarity of the dogmatic basis, the causes of misunderstandings should be sought in the hermeneutics of liturgical discourse. The "apostolic discourse" of the early American Pentecostals tended to maximize the deconstruction of all forms of worship in order to maximize the revelation of human nature for the knowledge of God. The discourse of "biblical fidelity" of the Soviet Pentecostals was formed during the period of information isolationism and brutal persecution on religious grounds. Combined with the Baptist tradition of regulated worship and Eastern Orthodox ideas of spirituality, the Soviet Pentecostals formed their own local liturgical tradition.
The comparison of mystical manifestations and practices performed between the representatives of the Azusa Street Revival and the Soviet Pentecostals clearly illustrates the above theses.
Cameron, D. (2015). Conversational discourse [transl. from Eng]. Kharkov: Gumanitarnyy tsentr (In Russian).
Cipriani, Andreia Cristina (2002). Power in religious discourse: a discourse analysis of two sermon from the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.
Davis, Stephen T. (1997). Philosophy and Theological Dis-course. London: MACMILLAN PRESS LTD.
Horton, Stanley (1994). Systematic Theology: Revised Edition Paperback. Gospel Publishing House.
Karasik, V. I. (2002). Yazykovoy krug: lichnost, kontsepty i diskurs. Volgograd: Peremena (In Russian).
Khurmatullin, A. K. (2009). Ponyatiye diskursa v sovremennoy lingvistike. Uchenyye zapiski Kazanskogo universiteta. Seriya Gumanitarnyye nauki, 151 (6), 31-37. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/ponyatie-diskursa-v-sovremennoy-lingvistike (In Russian).
Makarov, M. L. (2017). Osnovy teorii diskursa. ITDGK “Gnozis” (In Russian).
McGrath, Alistair (2017). Dangerous idea of Christianity [transl. from Eng]. Kyiv: Dukh I Litera (In Ukrainian).
Phillips, Nelson & Hardy, Cynthia. (2002) What Is Discourse Analysis? In N.Phillips and C.Hardy Discourse Analysis: Investigating Processes Of Social Construction. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. PP. 1-18. http://discourseana-lysis.org/ada1/st4.shtml .
Robek, Cecil M. (2011). Azusa Street: Mission and Awakening [transl. from Eng]. Alexandria: Ezra (In Russian).
Sandnes, Karl Olav. (2016). Early Christian Discourses on Jesus’ Prayer at Gethsemane. LEIDEN - BOSTON: BRILL.
Schilderman, Hans (2007). Discourse in Ritual Studies. In: Empirical Studies in Theology 14. LEIDEN - BOSTON: BRILL.
Tycher, S. & Meyer, M.& Wodak, R.& Vetter, E.(2017). Methods of text and discourse analysis [transl. from Eng]. Kharkov: Gumanitarnyy tsentr (In Russian).
van Dijk, T.A. (2013). Discourse and Power. Contributions to Critical Discourse Studies. Moscow: Librikom (In Russian).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 ВИТАЛИЙ ГУРА
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.