Development of the oil industry in the USA in the 20th century (Part II)
Keywords:oil, natural gas, oil and gas industry, geologic exploration, history of technology, USA, 20th century
AbstractThe article looks into the history of the oil and gas industry which has been dynamically developing today. Oil and natural gas as well as their processing products have a very long history of use by mankind though the history of the world oil industry counts as few as about 150 years and the gas industry is less than 100 years old. The authors intend to produce a series of articles covering the history of the world oil industry, aimed at understanding the “anatomy of success” which is much needed for the domestic industry. This series of articles begins the exploration of the USA oil industry development. The first part of the work deals with a period from the inception of the US oil industry to the late 19th century whereas the second part covers the 20th century.
Gaiko, G. I. and Biletskyi, V. S. 2013. Mining History. Publishing House “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy", LADO Publ. of Donbas State Technical University, Kyiv-Alchevsk (ukr). Shnyukov, Y.F. 2008. Minerals and the World. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv (rus). Tugendhat, C. & Hamilton, A. 1978. Oil: The Biggest Business: Translated from English. Progress, Moscow (rus). Fursenko, A.A. 1985. Oil Wars (the late 19th - the early 20th centuries). Nauka, Leningrad (rus). Hyne, Norman J. 2017. Geology, Exploration, Drilling and Oil Production: Study. Translated from English. Olimp-Biznes, Moscow (rus). Gray, Forest. 2003. Petroleum Production: Translated from English. Olimp-Biznes, Moscow (rus). Мarius, Vassiliou. 2018. Historical Dictionary of the Petroleum Industry. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press (Rowman & Littlefield) (eng). Bringhurst, Bruce. 1979. Antitrust and the Oil Monopoly: The Standard Oil Cases, 1890-1911. Greenwood Press, New York (eng). Chernow, Ron. 1998. Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. London: Warner Books (eng). Yergin, D. 2011. The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money and Power. Alpina Publisher, Moscow (rus). Yergin, D. 2016. The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World Alpina Publisher, Moscow (rus). Economides, M. & Oligney R. 2004. The Color of Oil. The History, the Money and the Politics of the World's Biggest Business: Translated from English. Olimp-Biznes, Moscow (rus). Mesnianko, A. 2015. Oil: People Who Changed the World. Mann, Ivanov and Ferber (MIF), Moscow (rus). Nevins, Alan. John D. Rockefeller. The Heroic Age of American Enterprise (1940); 710 pp. https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.74195. Akiner, Shirin; Aldis, Anne (eds.) 2004. The Caspian: Politics, Energy and Security. New York: Routledge. Gaiko G. I., Biletskyi V. S. Development of the oil industry in the USA (Part I). Skhid. No. 4 (156). 2018. 37-40 pp. DOI: 10.21847/1728-9343.2018.4(156).143493.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Gennadiy Gayko, Volodymyr Biletsky
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Authors bear responsibility for the accuracy of facts, quotations, numbers and names used.
2. Manuscripts are not sent back.
3. The publisher does not always agree with the authors' opinion.
4. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
5. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.